A house rented to seven students had inadequate fire doors and a broken smoke alarm, the magistrates court in Reading,
UK Fire Safety News
A York hotel has been handed a huge fine totalling over £120,000 after a string of fire safety offences were uncovered at the property, placing guests at risk.
A landlord from Wolverhampton has been handed a £34k fine for breaching a number of housing rules, including regarding fire safety, at an HMO under his ownership.
Faulty household appliances - primarily washing machines and tumble dryers - account for 60 house fires a week in the UK, consumer group Which? has said.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is facing a 24 per cent cut in the funding that it receives from Central Government.
Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service is facing budget cuts of 24 per cent, following the the confirmation of the Local Government Settlement by the Department for Communities and Local Government. The Local Government Settlement outlines figures detailing how the central grant will be allocated to metropolitan and combined authorities in England.
Hotel owner John Humberstone has called for the introduction of fresh legislation to ensure no-smoking policies are more rigorously enforced, the BBC reports. The hotelier claims that a fire, which badly damaged the Alexandra Hotel in Llandudno, Conwy, was started by a guest smoking in a room.
The subsequent blaze resulted in part of the Grade II listed building's roof being lost. A number of ceilings fell down and lower floors also suffered water damage due to the incident. And Mr Humberstone believes that the difficulty of enforcing the hotel's no-smoking policy was partly to blame for the blaze, arguing that stricter measures are needed to reduce the risk of similar events occurring in the future.
In a bid to remove potential fire hazards, commercial buildings and non-domestic premises in England and Wales are already forced to undertake a 'suitable and sufficient' fire risk assessment carried out under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. While the overwhelming majority of premises do this, if the assessment is thought to have been carried out to an insufficient extent, the Responsible Person can face an unlimited fine or up to two years in prison.
More Articles ...
- Mosque Fire Treated as Suspicious
- Time Out Fire Affects Latest Edition
- Fourteen people rescued in Stirling fire
- Fire at National Library of Wales
- Arson arrest Sheffield ski centre
- LFB - sprinkler installation in care homes
- Backpackers evacuated from Inverness hostel blaze
- Former rock music venue destroyed in Birmingham
- Glasgow Steiner school fire
- Landlord Given Suspended Sentence
- Death in Flat Fire in Cambuslang
- Thatched House Fire in Thurston
- Northampton house fire - Four taken to hospital
- Fire in School - Staff and Pupils Praised
- Cheshire nightclub destroyed in blaze
- Sandhill Park Fire - Four jailed
- Putney house fire: Man's body found
- Wrexham Maelor hospital wards evacuated after fire
- Seven people rescued from burning flat in Gwynedd
- Derelict House Fire in Somerset
- Investigations underway after fire exit blaze
- Glasgow City Centre Fire
- Fire Safety Awareness - Devon & Somerset
- Investigation underway into Brighton restaurant fire
- Inquest Opens into Lakanal House Fire
- Crawley Fire - Block of Flats Evacuated
- Fourteen people die in Workshop for Disabled
- House Boat Fire in Oxfordshire
- Fire at Altnagelvin Hospital in County Londonderry
- Cooking Oil Depot Fire in Essex