Tips on how to prevent falls that could cause serious injury
- Have handrails on both sides of stairs and steps. Make sure handrails go from the top to the bottom of stairs.
- Have lots of lights at the top and bottom of the stairs.
- It is easy to trip on small rugs. Tape them to the floor or do not use them at all.
- Have nightlights in the bedroom, hall and bathroom.
- Have a mat or non-slip strips in the tub and shower.
- Have a bath mat with a non skid bottom on the bathroom floor.
- Have grab bars in the tub and shower.
- Wipe-up spills when they happen.
Protect Young Children
- Always watch young children.
- Use safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs.
- Window guards can keep a child from falling out the window. Have window guards on upstairs windows.
- Cover the ground under playground equipment with a thick layer (9-12 inches) of mulch, wood chips or other safety material.
- Put bright lights over all porches and walkways.
- Have handrails on both sides of the stairs.
- Put ladders away after using them. Store ladders on their sides, in a shed or garage.
- Keep sidewalks and paths clear, so you don't trip.
- Fix broken or chipped steps and walkways as soon as possible.